PDA

View Full Version : CB Channels

ATCO
03-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Was wondering if anyone had a list of whats considered the typically-defacto used channels, and for what regions... I am in CA, so certainly any of those would be greatly appreciated...

Also if the responses warrant, a discussion on CB manors would be interesting too...

Preacher
03-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Channel 19 is the commonly used channel for truckers and travelers. Channel 9 is reserved for emergencies. That is all that I am aware of.

Jimbo
03-02-2005, 06:43 AM
In the past few years, I have started to hear drivers say that they run channel 19 when running East and West, while using channel 21 for running North and South. I never felt the need to run 2 different channels, but I have heard a handfull of drivers talking about it.

19 is the Truckers, or mobile channel

9 is for emergencies only...no exceptions ever!

16, and 36 to 40, although not legally required, are reserved in a gentlemens agreement for use by Single sideband transmissions.

That is all I am aware of to this day.
Jim Smith
"Philadelphia Shooter"
FCC License # KAEL 4920 (1979)

ATCO
03-30-2005, 03:02 AM
got the run down on the channels here is California
15 - South of Hwy 46 (North about 30/45 mi of Bakersfield)
17 - North of Hwy 46
19 - "east of here" or "elsewhere"

Randy
04-18-2005, 11:54 PM
Hey ATCO,

Channel 17 is used a lot in the Bay Area ...past Roseville, CA. running north on 101 it's 19. Running north or south on I-5/99 seems to be a little of both (17 & 19).

Randy

Uturn2001
04-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Any more it seems that channel 9 is the spanish channel. Every once in a while I will flip to 9 and every time I do all I hear is running conversations in spanish and based on signal strength the operaters are close. (and I am talking about running hundreds of miles from the mexican border).

Jimbo
04-19-2005, 07:47 AM
Any more it seems that channel 9 is the spanish channel. Every once in a while I will flip to 9 and every time I do all I hear is running conversations in spanish and based on signal strength the operaters are close. (and I am talking about running hundreds of miles from the mexican border).

Too bad the F.C.C. spends so much time fining Howard Stern, instead of enforcing the laws they are in charge of. They should hunt down people using channel 9 for non-emergency transmissions, and fine them $1,000 each, plus take their radio.

I do remember a good many years back, that the F.C.C. did do a sweep in the New York area. Some idiot trucker had "extra" channels in his radio, and a large linear amplifier. He was so far off the CB band, he was interfering with the air force channels. The next day, the F.C.C. was at the George Washington bridge, checking trucks. If they saw an illegal amp on your radio, they pulled you over, and gave you 5 minutes to hand the radio over. After 5 minutes, they "helped" you take the radio out, with use of a crow-bar. It was a great sight. All these half-wit idiots who feel the need to crank out 500 watts to talk to other side of the road, standing there watching the feds rip their radios out. Then they were getting fined out the wazzooo. It was a great sight.

These days the F.C.C. makes so much money fining Howard Stern, I guess they don't need to chase the little fish.

Chiefwhatdahey
04-19-2005, 08:15 AM
What is single side band and how does it work?

Jimbo
04-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Chief,

When you transmit on the AM CB channels, you are throwing what is called a carrier signal, with upper and lower reflected fluctuations of that signal.

When you transmit on a single sideband radio, you can transmit either the upper or the lower part of the signal, without throwing the carrier signal with it.

To put it plainly, instead of transmitting the positive and negative parts of the signal, you only transmit one of the two sides of the signal.

Sideband is great for "Skipping" your signal, which makes it possible to transmit farther, due to the signal bouncing off of the Earth's ionisphere, and coming back down to the ground some miles away. I myself have talked from Philadelphia, PA, to Roswell, New Mexico, running the legal 20 watts peak envelope power.

The dow-side to sideband is that if someone is transmitting on the Am side of the channel, you will get a loud tone or humm while listening to the sideband side. If you get to a channel that no AM transmissions are present, you can talk all over the place with very little power.

Channel 16, and channels 36 to 40 are supposed to be set aside, under a gentlemen's agreement, for sideband transmissions only. This is not a legal restriction, but rather an agreement so the sidebanders have a place to operate, and the AM talkers don't have to deal with sidebanders disrupting their talking.

This is not a textbook perfect answer to your question, but it is the way I understand it. I am not a radio technician, but I do have a good basic knowledge of the subject.

Chiefwhatdahey
04-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks Jimbo, that's more info than I've received from anyone else.

ATCO
04-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey ATCO,

Channel 17 is used a lot in the Bay Area ...past Roseville, CA. running north on 101 it's 19. Running north or south on I-5/99 seems to be a little of both (17 & 19).

Randy

DO you have any idea whats being used down in LA? I have been down there, thinking more recently, that once I came off I-5 and onto the 210, the radio went silent... Kinda think now I shoulda gone to 19 now...

Jimbo
04-19-2005, 06:51 PM
I'll keep it simple, and run channel 19 all the time. I am not going to have any half-pint, runny nosed, johnny come lately, little boy truckers, especially from Calee-fawn-ee--ah start mixing things all up. :hmph:

Randy
04-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Atco, I stay on 19 ...17 seems to be a mess no matter where you are :angry: ...and you can always flip down if things get to quiet! Not sure what channel they use down in LA ...what ever one it is ...it's most likely wrong :D

Randy

nitestar
04-23-2005, 01:31 AM
I run chanel 19 ( if I ever turn it on) and if someone wants me while I am in CA they can hunt me down and find me on 19. Maybe.lol
I do SSB a lot and it is better than AM 19 by far. Quiet too.
KGT 7010 call letters for CB.
KB0YYO for HAM

YankeeRebel
09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Channel 19 is the norm where I truck-it-up, Midwest to East Coast.Just like Jimbo said,9 is for emergencies only...no exceptions ever! :cheers: