Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Knight Transportation

What are your knowledges of them? What do you think of them?

Thanks all

Uturn will be along shortly.

He used to drive for them a couple years ago.

Lets see, what can I tell you about Knight.

Good equipment. Trucks are usually traded off at or before 500,000 miles or 3-4 years. Dry van fleet primarily Volvo 670, 10 speed trans, 3:55 rears, air slide 5th wheel, 400-435 hp Cummins engine. Most trucks are now equipped with webasco type bunk heaters. They are considering adding APU's or some type of aux AC system in the near future.

Trucks are gov at around 65 mph now.

Trailers are spring ride and well maintained. They are on a 5-7 year trade cycle.

Choice of primary running areas. For example if you do not want to do New England they will do everything possible to keep you out of there. Larger area willing to run the more miles you can get.

Can choose how often you want to go home from weekly to stay out as long as you want. Get roughly 36 hours off for every week out. If you need an extra day off here and there beyond that it is usually no problem, just need to let your FM know ahead of time.

True open door policy. Dispatchers do not sit in a locked room behind bullet proof glass and neither do terminal and operation managers.

Primarily will only deal with people from your home terminal.

Dispatchers are required to keep you legally moving, 2500 miles per week average.

No forced dispatch. Can turn down loads, but you are also required to run as close to 2500 miles per week in order to take advantage of weekly hometime. If you turn down too many loads and do not make your miles they may push you to stay out longer. If you fall short due to no fault of your own then miles are not an issue in regards to home time.

Usually get preplanned on next load before you deliver current load.

Not uncommon to see preplans that you can not legally run, but do not panic. They are good about changing appointment times or arranging in route swaps/drops if need be.

Good communication skills a must. You need to keep your FM well informed about everything. If you do not then your miles may suffer.

No problems with hiring lumpers. Company would rather drivers not fingerprint if possible. Probably less than 2% of loads require driver labor, and 90% of that is driver assist. Lots of drop and hook.

Detention pay after 2 hours. All you have to do to get this is send in a canned message on the QC if you are not loaded/unloaded after 45 minutes. If you do not send in the message you will not get the detention.

EZ pass and pre pass.

They are very anal about taking care of your tires. Drivers are issued a tire gage and a glad hand air hose to keep tires aired up. If you pick up a trailer with tires that have been run low/flat be sure to let your shop know immediately so you will not be blamed. Ignoring the tires is one of the few things that can get you fired.

Power inverters are limited to plug in type only.

Rider policy. If I recall you do have a small insurance policy that you have to purchase through payroll deduction for each month you have a rider with you. I think it is like $7 per month.

Pets not allowed in company trucks.

Many terminals have showers and laundry.

Majority of fuel stops are pilots

Trips turned in via Transflo system. These are at Pilot, Loves and at every terminal.

Choice of daily or weekly pay. Suggest not using daily as it can mess up your taxes.

While Knight is one company, each terminal is run more like a franchise giving the company a small outfit feel. Each terminal is tasked with finding freight in their region/area of operation for all trucks in that area. Regardless of what area you find yourself in you still only deal with the dispatchers from your home terminal. Your dispatcher is responsible to dealing with the load planners etc at other terminals.

Knight has what they call a sliding pay scale. Basically the shorter the trip the more per mile it pays. If trip is really short you are paid local at a per hour basis. I am not sure of the current breakdown. When I was there 2 years ago the longest trips, over 500 miles, paid 34 cpm. The shortest (under 200 miles) paid something like 38 cpm). I do know it is higher than that now as they have issued at least 2 pay increases since then. You can also get a 2 cpm increase during the first 6 months if you meet or exceed expectations.

I ran out of the KC terminal while I was there and all in all I enjoyed working for them. I made decent money and really did not run all that hard, but was still kept busy. I left to come home and take care of my infant son. I was there for about 9 months and was heading towards a 48k year. They are not a perfect company, and they are not for everyone, but for me at least they were one of the best companies I ever drove for.

Yes there are companies that pay more per mile, but you would be hard pressed finding a company that pays more that offers the good equipment, the home time options, the choice of running areas, and no forced dispatch.

If you have any questions ask away here or feel free to PM me.

I had no idea. Either you make them sound pretty good.....or they are pretty good.

I have a hard time beliving the "home time" thing. Is it true for a big company? (I know you wouldn't lie UTurn.....but it just plain ol' sounds too good to be true)
    You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
    Psycho Stripes - 1981

Thanks Uturn for the info! Im happy to hear they have Volvos Im just waiting for my MVR to come back and do the drug test and everything-- my DAC came back 15 mins after talking to her because she called me back because Try Hours-- the expedite company I leased my cargo van to shows up on my DAC report and she called to ask why I didnt tell her I had more experience then I said. I explained that it was a cargo van. And of course she has to do the past employment and all that. I think her goal is to have me working by Wednesday.

Again thanks for the info UTurn and if I have any more q's ill pm ya

48k is short of 60K which is what someone should be getting out here. 50 is probably the lowest one should go for an OTR job having experience. So I guess you were close to that.

Peacekeeper
    http://www.clarkairbasek9.com/prince.htm

If you want me to be a team player, then treat and pay me like a member of the team!

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper
    48k is short of 60K which is what someone should be getting out here. 50 is probably the lowest one should go for an OTR job having experience. So I guess you were close to that.

Peacekeeper
    I won't argue what someone should be paid, I will argue what many are paid. Still a lot of experienced drivers struggling to make 40k a year, which is a crying shame.

Also everyone needs to keep in mind these were wage figures from over 2 years ago and Knight has put into place at least two pay increases. The first one upped the mileage pay by 2 cpm across the board. The second one was either 1 or 2 more cpm and it also changed the upper cutoff limit for what is considered a long trip by 100 more miles if I remember right.

Wherever I may roam...or oklahoma when home.

I saw something a couple of weeks ago that sort of ticked me and several other drivers off.

It was at the Pilot in Ogden, UT( thats bad enough), but we were waitting in line for a shower with few more drivers in line, in walks Knight driver #1, shows Knight ID, bam takes first available shower, a bit later, in walks Knight driver # 2, gets immediate available shower.

After we showered I over heard other drivers in line complaining about yet another Knight driver doing the same thing.

Anyone know what the deal is with that?
    OOIDA Member.

The left lane is for passing.

Knight drivers are stinkier than everybody else.......

Peacekeeper
    http://www.clarkairbasek9.com/prince.htm

If you want me to be a team player, then treat and pay me like a member of the team!

Wherever I may roam...or oklahoma when home.

Are they the really stinky ones I tend to see everywhere I go?
    OOIDA Member.

The left lane is for passing.