Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carrier or Thermo King

Which is better and why?

Carrier

More reliable, better cooling and easy to work on, have not worked on the few I have for a long time, normal maint. and just add fuel.

Im wonder why THERMOKING sells MORE? I think Its a matter of opinion.I do know THERMOKING has more service centers around the USA,they do an alright Job for me can't complain I have not owned a carrier since they were called TRANCICOLD before CARRIER bought them out. Have had a bunch of thermokings though.
    Rooster

Our company runs alot of both, but more Thermo Kings in the fleet. Now, granted, I'm new to this Reefer stuff (a year) and Just from prior experience, if I had to buy my own trailer and reefer, I'd go with Carrier. In terms of fuel consumption, it seems that Carrier uses less fuel, either running on Start/Stop vs. Continuous than the TK's. However, the Carriers are a bit louder. Another thing I've noticed, that an older Carrier sitting next to an older TK for a few days in colder weather (with an additive added) seems to start up much much easier than the TK's. The TK's spurt and spudder while the Carriers fire right up.

The bad thing with Carrier vs. TK is that if the Carrier has a problem, the alarm lite comes on and thats it. At least with the TK's you can sort of pinpoint the problem, if its a dealer repair thing or something as simple as "the driver before never checked the oil and now its low enough to shut the unit off."

Thats my take...again, I've only been in the Reefer thing for a year.

well I like the thermal king's whisper edition better seems to be more quiet and not as bad on fuel, maybe it's our carrier's are so noisey
    reddog
    beer drinkin pickup truckin gun totin redneck

bettter to have luv'd and lost than to live with a psyco the rest of yer life

San Antonio, Texas- Forever A Place I'm Proud To Call Home.

Thermo-King uses Isuzu engines that have been proven to be far more reliable than the Mercedes-Benz engines that were used until (if I remember right) the early 1980s.

The Isuzu engines may sputter a bit on a cold start if a glow plug or two isn't working, or if a fuel system problem is causing the engine to lose its prime. I had to repair a few Isuzu DI 2.2 engines in SB-II, SB-III, Super II, and Sentry DI units, as well as a few C-201s that had this problem.

Carrier units seem to be reliable, and I haven't had to do any repair work on any of them (except to replace a low coolant sensor in the coolant recovery tank). About the only concern I have is the dealer network not being as "thick" everywhere, and it seems like nothing ever chooses a convenient time to fail on the road.
    "While Some Wish To Make Things Happen, Others Succeed Through Their Own Hard Work." -author unknown
    Proud OOIDA member & LandLine Magazine Columnist.
    Politically Incorrect And Damn Proud Of It.
    No Liability Or Guarantees Expressed Or Implied For Any Information Posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt._Chaos
    Thermo-King uses Isuzu engines that have been proven to be far more reliable than the Mercedes-Benz engines that were used until (if I remember right) the early 1980s.
    TK switched to Yanmar engines a few years ago, early 2000's if I remember right.

We have 50 trailers, all TK's with the rotary "screw" type compressors. (SBIII SSR, Magnum, and now the designation is SB 400). We haul alot of ice cream and these are awsome. Cool an empty 53' down to -10 in less than an hour in 90+ 100% humidity. So far no failures, and they burn alot less fuel than the Carriers.

Carrier even gave us their latest and greatest new unit a few years ago to try for free, and after going back for repairs 3 times in 2 months, burning more fuel and not cooling as good as the TK, the owners took it off and sent it back. One thing also, all the Carriers we used to have would need a compressor rebuild in our trade cycle (5 years) and so far none of the TK rotaries have had a failure.

Default 2006 world leader is Carrier

I have great news to share. Carrier did out sale TK in 2005. Carrier sold 52%of the new trailer units[/b], so Carrier is the TOP DOG

The newer TK unit do have lower sound, but hold on to your hat. The NEW
    Carrier unit is almost here. What a great looking unit.

The dealer net work is close with TK and Carrier have about 200 dealers.

Also, TK stop using the Isuzu engine about 5 years ago.

Default SB400

Just to recap on your SB400'S
    I have done fuel test and check % of engine run time.
    The Carrier Ultima XTC ran 16% less run time on a fleet of 15 SB400
    and Carrier Ultima XTC.

The Carrier test unit (gold) was only a test unit.

What temp? We had both, SB400 and Ultima loaded with ice cream over a weekend. Both set -20 continuous, both brand new identical Utility's, ambient temp 95 degrees and very humid. From Fri afternoon to Sun morning the TK used 3/8 and the Ultima used 3/4 tank of fuel. Not real scientific, but the results were there. Granted, this was a couple years ago, so I don't know what new technology Carrier has.

Also, the SB400 is made for deep freeze, not to good for produce, so maybe apples to oranges.(pun intended) At the time, the screw compressor was the highest output unit on the market. It also uses alot less horespower to turn it compared to a piston unit, hence some of the fuel savings.

As far as the dealer network, not to much of a problem anymore, most TK dealers stock carrier parts and know how to fix them also.